Entry to the Meilahti Emergency Department is via Haartman Hospital's main entrance.
We treat patients over the age of 16 with sudden illnesses and injuries as well as issues associated with mental health problems requiring urgent treatment.
First, make a symptom assessment at Omaolo.fi. Omaolo provides health advice 24/7 and, if needed, puts you in contact with a professional
you can contact your health center on weekdays between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., or the Medical Helpline at other times, tel. 116117 before seeking treatment at the emergency department.
The Meilahti Emergency Department serves residents of Helsinki over the age of 16 on weekdays 4–10 p.m. and on weekends and public holidays 8 a.m.–10 p.m.
Specialized healthcare patients with a referral
For specialized health care, we serve the whole of Uusimaa 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The specialized health care emergency service requires a physician’s referral.
In life-threatening situations, you can come to us 24 hours a day regardless of where you live.
Residents of Helsinki in need of psychiatric help
Mieppi is a low-threshold mental health service unit where patients can talk about mental well-being with a mental health professional. Book an appointment via Maisa.
In urgent mental health issues, contact your local health center between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. See health center contact information here.
At the Meilahti Emergency Department, we provide urgent psychiatric first aid for severe mental health problems 24/7 for residents of Helsinki over the age of 16.
- chest pain
- stroke symptoms, such as sudden flaccidity or incapacity of a limb or speech difficulties
- mental health problems requiring urgent treatment
- profuse bleeding (e.g., vomiting blood, large bleeding wound)
- major injuries and fractured bones
- sudden severe headache
- difficulty breathing
- sudden onset of severe or worsening abdominal pain
Oral diseases emergency care
Our night-time emergency care for oral diseases at Meilahti Emergency Department operates in connection with the emergency service unit for oral and maxillofacial surgery. In night-time emergency care for oral diseases, we treat Uusimaa residents in need of immediate care between 9 p.m. and 8 a.m. Call the Medical Helpline, tel. 116 117 before you seek treatment at us.
On weekdays, you will be treated at your local health center. Emergency dental care for residents of Helsinki
- Suspected fracture in the face or jaw
- Dental injury involving a detached or clearly displaced tooth
- Injury to a baby tooth that prevents the teeth from closing properly
- Bleeding after a tooth removal or another procedure, which does not subside in 2 hours using the instructions given by the Medical Helpline
- Increasing swelling, redness, and pain, restricted mouth opening (space between upper and lower front teeth is less than 2 fingers wide), difficulty to swallow
- Dislocated jaw
Estimated duration of an emergency department visit
Allow analytic cookies to show the embedded media.
At the hospital emergency clinic, we always assess the need and urgency for treatment first. Based on this, you will be referred to a nurse or physician. Patients are treated in the order of urgency, not in the order of arrival. Because of this, a patient who has arrived after you may be admitted for treatment before you.