Gynecology and Obstetrics
Our unit is Finland's largest and most comprehensive centre for gynecology and obstetrics.
In Helsinki, we operate at Women's Hospital, the Gynecological Outpatient Clinic in Ruoholahti, the Reproductive Medicine Unit in Tilkan Viuhka, and the Prenatal Screening Unit at Bulevardi, as well as in Espoo at the Jorvi, and Espoo Hospitals. We also operate in the hospitals of Hyvinkää, Lohja and Porvoo. The Fetomaternal Medical Center (FMC) and the Seri Support Center for victims of sexual assault operate at Women's Hospital and serve the entire Uusimaa region.
Our treatment range covers a woman's entire life cycle from childbirth to the treatment and study of infertility and gynecological diseases. We treat more than 16,000 deliveries and approximately 33,000 gynecological patients each year. Our operations are guided by a family and baby-friendly approach, equality, and patient focus. We have modern state-of-the-art technology at our disposal.
- childbirth care
- monitoring of high-risk pregnancies
- demanding prenatal diagnostics
- fetal procedures (IU procedures, intrauterine treatments)
- treatment of childbirths requiring special expertise (prematurity, fetal illnesses)
- preimplantation genetic testing of embryos, infertility treatments, infertility treatments with donated germ cells, diagnostics of recurrent miscarriages
- treatment of patients with infections (possibility to handle the treatment of viral carriers' gametes, responsibility for the whole of Finland)
Gynecological outpatient care
- colposcopy: diagnosis and treatment of cervical cancers and premalignancies
- ultrasound diagnostics of gynecological diseases
- small outpatient procedures for the treatment of myomas, polyps, and menstrual disturbances
Gynecological surgeries for benign reasons
- examination and treatment of women's urinary incontinence and gynecological prolapses
- gene tests of patients at increased risk for hereditary reasons
- demanding surgical treatment (robotic surgery)
- further treatment in cooperation with the Comprehensive Cancer Center
Examination and treatment of victims of sexual violence
The division of Pregnancy Monitoring and Postpartum Care includes the maternity wards and maternity outpatient clinics at Women's Hospital and the Espoo and Jorvi hospitals, the Family Nest Hotel in Helsinki, the Prenatal Screening Unit at Bulevardi, and HUS activities in the central maternity health clinics (keskusneuvola) in the cities of Helsinki and Espoo.
The division of Emergency Services for Gynecology and Obstetrics includes the maternity units at Women's Hospital and Espoo Hospital, as well as the 24-hour emergency clinic for gynecology and pregnant women at Women's Hospital.
The division of Gynecological Surgery Activities includes the Surgery and Anesthesia Unit and Gynecology Inpatient Ward 30 at Women's Hospital.
The division of Gynecological Outpatient Clinic Activities include Gynecological Outpatient Clinics at Women's Hospital and in Ruoholahti, the Surgical Procedure Clinic and the Seri Support Center for victims of sexual assault at Women's Hospital, and the Reproductive Medicine Unit in Tilkan Viuhka.
The Prenatal Diagnostic Unit, a part of the Fetomaternal Medical Center (FMC), examines and treats those belonging to a risk group by arranging pregnancy screening examinations, as well as mothers with an abnormality detected during an ultrasound scan. We provide fetal examinations also when a patient or their family has previously been diagnosed with a hereditary disease or a chromosome abnormality.
The Hyvinkää and Porvoo division includes the Gynecology and Obstetrics Ward, gynecological and maternity outpatient clinics, Maternity Unit, and Gynecological Emergency Clinic at Hyvinkää Hospital as well as the Gynecological Outpatient Clinic and Maternity Outpatient Clinic at Porvoo Hospital.
The Lohja Division includes the Gynecological Outpatient Clinic and Ward, the delivery room and Labor Ward, and the Maternity Outpatient Clinic at Lohja Hospital.