In the Abdominal Center we treat diseases of the abdomen, blood vessels, urinary and reproductive organs, endocrine glands as well as metabolic diseases. The Abdominal Center is one of the 13 departments in the Helsinki University Hospital Area.
Our specialty includes endocrinology and endocrine surgery, transplant and liver surgery, nephrology, gastroenterology, gastrointestinal surgery, vascular surgery, and urology. We have nationwide responsibility for kidney, liver, pancreas, and small intestine transplantations in adult patients. Other patients in need of demanding special level care from all over Finland are also referred to us. Our units operate in Meilahti Tower Hospital, Meilahti Triangle Hospital, Surgical Hospital, and Jorvi and Peijas hospitals.
- Diagnostics and treatment of demanding endocrine disorders: e.g. pituitary, parathyroid and adrenal gland tumors
- Specialized expertise, for example, in the treatment of endocrine ophthalmopathy and neuroendocrine tumors
- Treatment of diabetic foot problems
- Helsinki University Hospital Obesity Center
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the abdominal organs: inflammatory bowel diseases, pancreatic and liver diseases, such as primary sclerosing cholangitis (PSC), autoimmune liver diseases, and viral hepatitis
- Treatment of PSC patients and ERC studies across the country
- Problematic small intestine diseases, such as refractory celiac disease and short-bowel syndrome. Demanding small intestine examinations, such as double balloon enteroscopies
- Ultrasonic endoscopies, e.g. in pancreatic diseases and evaluations of the extent of cancer.
- Extensive endoscopic procedures in the Meilahti, Jorvi and Peijas hospitals: endoscopies and procedures of the stomach and colon, and bile and pancreatic ducts; approximately 17,000 examinations each year.
- Diagnostics of liver tumors
- Planning of treatment in a multiprofessional expert group
- All procedures in use for treating liver tumors: demanding liver surgeries, thermal ablation of the tumor, catheter treatments
- In cirrhosis of the liver, procedures aimed at reducing portal venous pressure: surgery, radiology, bypasses.
- Diagnostics and coordination of treatment of renal diseases throughout the Uusimaa region
- Finland's most extensive dialysis and home dialysis operations
- Close cooperation with renal transplantation activities, including the coordination of donations by related donors.
Finland's largest urological unit.
Excellence in prostate cancer
- Multiprofessional prostate cancer team
- Forerunner in prostate cancer diagnostics (e.g. MRI/Ultrasound fusion imaging and guided biopsies)
- Finland's largest urological robotic surgery unit, more than 380 robotic-assisted endoscopic surgical procedures annually: prostate cancer surgeries, partial nephrectomies, and urinary reconstructive surgeries
Special expertise in bladder cancer
- Finland's largest unit performing total excisions of the bladder (radical cystectomy)
Other special expertise
- Including extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy procedures (ESWL), urethral stenosis repairs, functional urological problems (neurourology, spinal cord injury patients), urological prostheses (incontinence and penile prostheses).
- Abdominal and intestinal cancer surgeries, surgical treatment of inflammatory bowel diseases
- Finland's largest bariatric surgery unit
- HIPEC procedures for appendiceal cancer as a special area of expertise
- Effective ambulatory surgery at Surgical Hospital and Jorvi Hospital.
- National responsibility for kidney, liver, pancreatic and intestinal transplantations in adult patients; approximately 300 transplants per year
- Treatment results at an international high standard, one year after transplantation approximately 90% of the transplants function and after 10 years, 70–80% of the transplants function
- Support treatments for acute liver failure
One of the largest vascular surgery units in Europe.
- Arterial surgery (treatment of aneurysms, claudication and critical ischemia of the lower limb (foot wound or imminent necrosis) and carotid artery diseases)
- Venous surgery (varicose veins and venous thrombosis) using modern methods
- Vascular access surgery for dialysis patients
Surgical treatment using high-quality technology (e.g. a hybrid operating room located in a state-of-the-art surgical ward) and all the latest methods tried and tested in scientific studies in both open surgery and endovascular procedures.
Special areas of expertise include treatment of aneurysms exceeding the renal artery level, surgical treatment of inflammation of an aortic graft, surgical treatment of a carotid artery aneurysm, treatment of critical ischemia threatening the viability of a limb and, in particular, surgical treatment of cancers growing in blood vessels, and cytostatic therapy of isolated limb perfusion (ILP) in the treatment of an extensively advanced malignant melanoma in a limb.
In the division of Endocrinology and Parenchymal Organ Disorders, we provide treatment for patients in the fields of endocrinology, nephrology, gastroenterology, gastrointestinal surgery, and abdominal area transplantations.
The Gastrointestinal Surgery and Endoscopy division covers the activities of gastrointestinal surgery and gastroenterology. Our operations have been centralized in Meilahti Tower Hospital and Jorvi Hospital.
Urology is one ofthe four divisions in the Abdominal Center. In the Urology division, we diagnose and treat diseases of the male and female urinary organs and the male genital organs.
In the specialty of vascular surgery, we examine and treat various extracranial and extracardial arterial, venous, and lymphatic system diseases.