Participation in medical research
We need people to be research subjects in clinical medical research. When you participate in a study, you will receive information about your health status and experience on being studied. Depending on the research, you can receive the latest treatment forms even years in advance.
We always conduct our clinical studies with respect for the fundamental and human rights of citizens, on a fully voluntary basis, and in compliance with good research practice. All our studies must be approved by the Ethics Committee and be granted a research permit. HUS Ethics Committees issue opinions on medical research conducted on humans and human embryos and fetuses in the Uusimaa region. The ethics committees attend to the interests of the study subject.
Clinical trials are an essential part of the development of new medicines and further research into existing medicines. Participation in clinical trials is a patient's prerogative in a university hospital. As a research patient, you will have access to innovative treatments as much as several years before the general public, besides having your health monitored and gaining experience of what it is like to be examined for research. For a seriously ill person, participating in a clinical trial may give them a second chance. As a patient participating in clinical trials, you are covered by the HUS indemnity insurance and protection on the same grounds as other patients.
In order for the study to obtain the favorable opinion and permission of the Ethics Committee,
- the participant in the study must be requested to provide an informed consent to participate in the study,
- the study must comply with the legal requirements for the protection of the research subjects,
- the study must have the resources necessary to carry it out,
- the data protection of confidential data in the study must be safeguarded as required by law,
- the research financing plan must cover the costs it incurs on the hospital district, and
- the code key of the study must be retained in possession of HUS or someone acting in its behalf.
If you are interested in participating in research, you can send an email to:
Comprehensive Cancer Center research: email@example.com@iskaalitopsumiktutnaulah
Meilahti Vaccine Research Center (MeVac) studies: firstname.lastname@example.org@eniccav
As a research subject, you have
- The right to access your personal information
- The right to give and withdraw your consent
- The right to have your information rectified
- The right to have your data deleted, i.e., the right to be forgotten
- The right to request the restriction of the processing of your personal data
- The right to object to the processing of your personal data.
You can use the forms below to exercise your rights regarding data protection.