Family Nest Hotel (after childbirth), MeilahtiKeywords:
- Women’s Hospital
- Family Nest Hotel
Our popular Family Nest Hotel on the 2nd floor of Hotel Scandic Meilahti provides postpartum, individually designed care for healthy new mothers and their newborns. The Family Nest Hotel is part of the services of Women's Hospital.
Also your spouse or other support person can stay overnight in the same room. Compared to a hospital environment, we offer families more privacy and the chance to rest.
We monitor the condition of the mother and baby with treatment meetings three times a day and offer breastfeeding guidance and other assistance as needed. We also provide families with a tablet computer to use that includes videos of breastfeeding and baby care. Our pediatrician will examine the baby before you go home.
You can transfer to the Family Nest Hotel from Women's Hospital at the earliest six hours after childbirth by using a minibus. You can also use your own car, but parking spaces are limited in the area surrounding the hotel.
The mother's meals are included in the patient fee. Other persons staying in the room must pay for their meals. The hotel offers the possibility to have meals in the restaurant downstairs and you can also take your meal with you to your room in a take-away container. There is also a hamburger restaurant and a grocery store in the building.
At the Family Nest Hotel, you can wear your own clothes, so please bring some spare clothes for yourself and the baby. The rooms are equipped with the same equipment and accessories as the hospital: a baby crib, changing table, diapers, sanitary napkins and towels.
The mother and newborn can transfer to the Family Nest Hotel from the maternity unit 6–12 hours after childbirth.
- The mother does not have an underlying condition affecting postpartum recovery or neonatal monitoring
- There is no substance-abuse problem or acute psychosocial issues in the family, and the mother has not been on any mood-altering medication after 20 weeks of gestation
- The mother speaks and understands Finnish, Swedish or English fluently. A mother who can use the Túlka telephone app can also move to the Family Nest Hotel
- Normal pregnancy
- Well-controlled gestational diabetes (no medication for diabetes), child of normal weight
- Vaginal delivery (including uncomplicated vacuum-assisted or breech delivery)
- No inflammatory symptoms during childbirth (fever ≥ 38.0 °c)
- Hemorrhage less than 1,000 ml
- Urination has been successful, no indwelling catheter or need for intermittent catheterization
- Mother without child, if the above criteria are met
- Healthy, nothing abnormal during monitoring
- Pregnancy weeks ≥ 38+0
- Birth weight ≥ 2,800 g and < 4,500 g, -2.0 to +2.0 SD
- 1 min Apgar score > 6, umbilical artery pH ≥ 7.10
- Temperature 36.5–37.5 °C
- Heart rate 100–160/min, respiration < 60/min, oxygen saturation > 95%. The child's respiratory rate, pulse, temperature and oxygen saturation are normal when measured at least twice
- Any previous children have not had any neonatal problems that could recur (e.g. neonatal GBS infection, early jaundice)
- Time of rupture of the fetal membranes and a GBS finding do not affect the transfer to the hotel
- The child has received vitamin K
- The child has breastfed or eaten in another way
- The first blood glucose level of a child being monitored for blood glucose is normal (≥2.8 mmol/l)
Restrictions on visitations and appointments in Gynecology and Obstetrics
You can safely attend any scheduled appointments, examinations and procedures even during the COVID-19 epidemic.
Maisa Portal (opens in new window, links to another website)
You can use our online services by signing in to the Maisa Portal. Once your treatment with us begins, you will receive information on the services you can access in Maisa. These include appointment booking and preliminary information forms, for example.
The Patient Guide site answer the most common questions you might have before, during, and after treatment.