The staff of the Play and Activity Unit of New Children's Hospital organizes age-appropriate activities for children and adolescents during their stay in the hospital.
The Play and Activity Unit employs kindergarten teachers, pediatric practical nurses, and youth instructors who work at wards, day centers and in the Day Hospital. Engaging in favorite pastimes such as play, games, and other recreational activities makes it easier to adjust to life in the hospital. Play promotes recovery and rehabilitation for both children and adolescents.
The Play and Activity Unit offers children and adolescents of different ages a chance to spend time with their families.
Our personnel is available Mon–Thu 8:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m. and Fri 8:00 a.m–2:00 p.m. In addition, it is possible to use the facilities every day until 9:00 p.m. for those who have been allowed access. There is plenty of room for activities in the play area for children of all ages. Guided activities are also organized in the play area every week.
- The Tiuhti and Viuhti playroom offers the space and exciting toys for playing house, playing with dolls, cars and trains, building stuff, and playing games.
- In the Vilijonkka hospital play room children can play hospital: they can care for and examine a teddy bear, a doll or even their parents.
- The Tuutikki room offers children a chance to relax with sand and water play.
- In the Nipsu sensory room children can lounge in beanbag chairs enjoying various sounds and lights.
- Studio Nyyti gives children all the tools and material for artistic creation: they can paint, draw, build with modeling clay, and do crafts.
- The Hemuli mock hospital room can be utilized in situations where a child is very nervous about coming to the hospital. A visit to the Hemuli room can be arranged beforehand to prepare the child for coming to the hospital and undergoing procedures.
- In the Hosuli teaching kitchen, children and adolescents can participate in weekly cooking and baking events.
- The Nuuskamuikkunen music room is especially intended to serve children over the age of 12 and the friends and family visiting them. Patients and their guests can play pool and table soccer, and try their hand at playing instruments and singing. Younger children are also welcome to spend time in the music room.