Entry to the Meilahti Emergency Department is via Haartman Hospital's main entrance.
At the Meilahti emergency department, we provide emergency care in primary health care to residents over the age of 16 mainly from the southern, central and western areas of Helsinki. We provide specialist emergency care for the entire HUS area. In urgent cases, we provide treatment regardless of a person’s domicile.
Should I go to the emergency department?
Before coming to the emergency clinic, call the Medical Helpline at 116117.
If you already have a referral to the emergency clinic, you do not need to call the Medical Helpline.
- chest pain
- stroke symptoms, such as sudden flaccidity or incapacity of a limb or speech difficulties
- profuse bleeding (e.g. vomiting of blood, large bleeding wound)
- major injuries and bone fractures
- sudden severe headache
- difficulty breathing
- suddenly occurring or increasingly severe abdominal pain
- mental health problems requiring urgent treatment
Estimated duration of an emergency department visit
Allow analytic cookies to show the embedded media.
At the hospital emergency clinic, we always assess the need and urgency for treatment first. Based on this, you will be referred to a nurse or physician. Patients are treated in the order of urgency, not in the order of arrival. Because of this, a patient who has arrived after you may be admitted for treatment before you.