Skip to main content

What to do if you suspect having contracted the coronavirus

Coronavirus symptoms

Patients who have experienced any of the following symptoms within 14 days prior to seeking treatment: 

  • Acute respiratory infection (one symptom is enough: fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose, shortness of breath, loss of smell/taste) or
  • Diarrhea/abdominal pain without any other clear reason (suspected coronavirus in patients with abdominal pain cannot prevent ruling out or treating other diseases that may cause the symptom). 

Samples will be collected at health centers, at drive-through testing sites, and in other units. You'll need an appointment for the sample collection.

See the THL website for instructions on what to do when a child fallsill with a respiratory infection (in Finnish).​ 

Where to get tested?

  • Uusimaa residents can use the Coronabot to book a coronavirus test appointment directly online. 
  • You can book a test for yourself and your under-16-year-old children. If you wish to book on behalf of someone other than your child, call the coronavirus helpline in your municipality.​
  • Using the service requires online banking credentials or a mobile certificate. Helsinki residents can book a test appointment using the Omaolo web service. 
  • You can call your municipality's coronavirus helpline or your health center during its opening hours as instructed by your municipality. 
  • If your local health center is closed, you can call the Medical Helpline at 116 117. Select line 2.
  • Coronavirus testing at HUS is always free of charge for you. The test is free of charge also when the testing site is operated by one of our subcontractors.

After booking a test appointment, the customer will receive text message containing a confirmation of the time, arrival instructions and instructions for cancelling the appointment. ​

Home-care instructions​