Mushrooms

This list includes the most common poisonous mushrooms to humans and poisonous mushrooms most often inquired about that are found in Finland.

The list is not comprehensive and only contains some of the mushrooms found in Finland. If you cannot find a mushroom from this list and you are unsure about its toxicity, contact the Poison Information Centre.

NOTE! The Poison Information Centre cannot identify mushrooms based on a description given over the phone. In addition to reading mushroom guides, you can ask for help from experts to identify mushrooms. Contact a mycological association or the Martha Organisation, for example, to locate an expert.​

Search list for:
  • Amanita virosa

    Amanita virosa is a deadly poisonous mushroom, which can cause liver failure. Usually symptoms begin within 6-24 hours after ingestion. Severe abdominal pain, vomiting and watery diarrhea are typical symptoms in the beginning.

    Ingestion of a small amount (less than a cube of sugar) does not require any treatment. If the ingested amount is more than a cube of sugar, administer activated charcoal and seek medical assistance. Contact the Poison Information Center if someone has ingested Amanita virosa. Save the mushroom for possible identification afterwards.

  • Brown fly agaric

    ​Brown fly agaric is poisonous to the central nervous system (CNS). Typical symptoms are fatigue and disorientation, resembling alcohol intoxication. Other symptoms are sweating, increased salivation, vomiting and diarrhea. If the ingested amount is less than 2 cubes of sugar, the patient can be observed at home. If ingested in greater amounts, seek medical assistance. Contact the Poison Information Center if someone has ingested Brown fly agaric. Save the mushroom for possible identification afterwards.​

  • Brown rollrim (Paxillus involutus)

    Brown rollrim can cause gastrointestinal symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and diarrhea. Repeated ingestion of Brown rollrim can lead to hypersensitivity, which can cause kidney and liver failure. Ingestion of a small amount (less than 2-3 cubes of sugar) does not require any treatment. Contact the Poison Information Center if someone has ingested Brown rollrim. Save the mushroom for possible identification afterwards.​

  • Clitocybe -species

    Many Clitocybe –species contain muscarine, which cause symptoms in the nervous system. The symptoms usually begin within 30 min-2 hours. Sweating, increased salivation, lacrimation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea are the typical symptoms. Ingestion of a small amount (less than 2-3 cubes of sugar) does not require any treatment. If ingested in greater amounts administer activated charcoal and seek medical assistance. Contact the Poison Information Center if someone has ingested Clitocybe -species. Save the mushroom for possible identification afterwards.

  • Common ink cap (Coprinopsis atramentaria)

    Common ink cap is edible. It can cause antabuse-like reactions (for example flushed face, nausea and palpitations), if consumed with alcohol. If ingestion with alcohol is suspected, contact the Poison Information Center. Save the mushroom for possible identification afterwards.​

  • Deadly webcap

    ​Deadly webcap is a deadly poisonous mushroom, which can cause kidney failure. Usually symptoms occur 3 days after ingestion (onset of the symptoms range from 12 hours to 14 days). Vomiting, nausea, abdominal pain and excessive thirst are typical symptoms in the beginning.

    Ingestion of a small amount (less than a cube of sugar) does not require any treatment. If the ingested amount is more than a cube of sugar, administer activated charcoal and seek medical assistance. Contact the Poison Information Center if someone has ingested Deathly webcap. Save the mushroom for possible identification afterwards.


  • Death cap (Amanita phalloides)

    Death cap is a deadly poisonous mushroom, which can cause liver failure. Usually symptoms begin within 6-24 hours after ingestion. The typical symptoms in the beginning are severe abdominal pain, vomiting and watery diarrhea.

    Ingestion of a small amount (less than a cube of sugar) does not require any treatment. If the ingested amount is more than a cube of sugar, administer activated charcoal and seek medical assistance. Contact the Poison Information Center if someone has ingested Death cap. Save the mushroom for possible identification afterwards.​

  • European destroying angel (Amanita virosa)

    Amanita virosa is a deadly poisonous mushroom, which can cause liver failure. Usually symptoms begin within 6-24 hours after ingestion. Severe abdominal pain, vomiting and watery diarrhea are typical symptoms in the beginning. 

    Ingestion of a small amount (less than a cube of sugar) does not require any treatment. If the ingested amount is more than a cube of sugar, administer activated charcoal and seek medical assistance. Contact the Poison Information Center if someone has ingested Amanita virosa. Save the mushroom for possible identification afterwards.
  • False morel (Gyromitra esculenta)

    False morel is extremely poisonous when eaten raw or without adequate preparation. False morel can cause kidney and liver failure. Usually symptoms begin within 5-8 hours after ingestion. The typical symptoms in the beginning are vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, headache and double vision.

    Ingestion of a small amount (less than 2-3 cubes of sugar) does not require any treatment. If the ingested amount is more than 2-3 cubes of sugar, administer activated charcoal and seek medical assistance. Contact the Poison Information Center if someone has ingested raw False morel or if the preparation has been inadequate. Save the mushroom for possible identification afterwards.


  • Fly agaric (Amanita muscaria)

    ​Fly agaric is poisonous to the central nervous system (CNS). Typical symptoms are fatigue and disorientation resembling alcohol intoxication. If the ingested amount is less than 2 cubes of sugar, the patient can be monitored at home. If ingested in greater amounts, seek medical assistance. Contact the Poison Information Center if someone has ingested Fly agaric. Save the mushroom for possible identification afterwards.

  • Galerina marginata

    Galerina marginata is a poisonous mushroom, which can cause liver failure. Usually symptoms begin within 6-24 hours after ingestion. The typical symptoms in the beginning are severe abdominal pain, vomiting and watery diarrhea. 

    Ingestion of a small amount (less than a cube of sugar) does not require any treatment. If the ingested amount is more than a cube of sugar, administer activated charcoal and seek medical assistance. Contact the Poison Information Center if someone has ingested Galerina marginata. Save the mushroom for possible identification afterwards.

    Galerina marginata can be mistaken for the edible Sheathed woodtuft (Kuehneromyces mutabilis).


  • Inocybes

    Many Inocybe –species (for example Deadly fibrecap, Torn fibrecap, White fibrecap) contain muscarine, which can cause symptoms in the nervous system. Usually symptoms begin within 30 min - 2 hours after ingestion. Typical symptoms are sweating, increased salivation, lacrimation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. 

    Ingestion of a small amount (less than 2-3 cubes of sugar) does not require any treatment. If ingested in greater amounts administer activated charcoal and seek medical assistance. Contact the Poison Information Center if someone has ingested Inocybe -species. Save the mushroom for possible identification afterwards.

  • Liberty cap (Psilocybe semilanceata)

    Liberty cap is poisonous to the central nervous system (CNS). Disorientation, dizziness and hallucinations occur rapidly after ingestion. Maximum of two ingested mushrooms does not require any treatment. If ingested in greater amounts, seek medical assistance. Contact the Poison Information Center if someone has ingested Liberty cap. Save the mushroom for possible identification afterwards.​

  • Milk caps (Lactarius)

    Many Milk caps can, if eaten raw or uncooked, cause gastrointestinal symptoms (nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and diarrhea). In most cases, the symptoms can be treated at home with sufficient amount of fluids and rest. Seek medical assistance if symptoms persist. Save the mushroom for possible identification afterwards.​

  • Orange boletes (Leccinum versipelle, L. vulpinum, L. aurantiacum)

    Orange boletes (L. versipelle, L. aurantiacum, L. vulpinum) are edible but they need adequate cooking. Orange boletes can cause gastrointestinal symptoms especially when eaten raw.

  • Panther cap (Amanita pantherina)

    Panther cap is poisonous to the central nervous system (CNS). Typical symptoms are fatigue and disorientation resembling alcohol intoxication. If the ingested amount is less than 2 cubes of sugar, the patient can be monitored at home. If ingested in greater amounts, seek medical assistance. Contact the Poison Information Center if someone has ingested Panther cap. Save the mushroom for possible identification afterwards.​

 

​The guidebooks commissioned by the Nordic Council of Ministers and the Swedish Poison Information Centre offer additional information for mushroom pickers from abroad: