First aid instructions

Ingested poisonous substance


  • Rinse mouth and remove substance (e.g. pieces of plant, tablet bits) from the mouth.
  • DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING!
  • Immediately find out the risk for poisoning and the need for further action from the substance list (in Finnish) or from Poison Information Centre.
  • Give activated charcoal if you are advised to do so.
  • NB! If a person has ingested petroleum products or corrosive substances, do not induce vomiting or give activated charcoal under any circumstances because these actions worsen the situation.

Inhaled poison


  • Move patient into fresh air. Beware that you don’t inhale the poison yourself!
  • Place patient into a resting position, preferably into a half-sitting position.
  • Immediately find out the risk for poisoning and the need for further action from the substance list or from Poison Information Centre.
  • If mild symptoms don’t ease off at rest or the patient develops prolonged coughing, shortness of breath or other symptoms he/she is to be taken to the doctor.

Poisonous substance on the skin


  • Take off contaminated clothing.
  • Immediately rinse skin with water (if the substance is corrosive, rinse for at least 30-60 minutes).
  • If severe pain or burns develop or the skin becomes inflamed, take the patient to the doctor.

Poisonous substance in the eye


  • Immediately rinse eye with plenty of water for about 15 minutes (if the substance is corrosive, rinse for at least 20-30 minutes).
  • If  rinsing is not performed until at the doctor's, the eye may already be damaged.
  • If symptoms of inflammation such as severe pain, swelling, sensitivity to light or tearing develop during the next hours, take the patient to the doctor.